Custom 1:6 M5A1 WWII Stuart Tank

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
YT
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by YT » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:39 pm

Not mine, a guy posted this over on the RPF:

I worked on this puppy for almost a year. The base is an old 21st Century Toys Stuart tank. If you've ever seen one of these things, they're very toy-like. So I basically stripped all the details off and scratch-built everything. I tried to give her all the bells and whistles. It's fully RC with proportional steering, working turret, recoiling barrel, and a smoke generator to simulate exhaust. The headlights, tail lamps, and search lamp all work. Both the driver and commander are animatronic. All the stowage is scratch-built. The ammo and ration crates are all made from basswood with screen-printed decals.

You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aE71rmON-Q

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:14 am

Awesome..... 8) and HUGE... :shock:

Great job.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:27 am

I've seen whole websites dedicated to customizing the 21c 1:6 Stuart, though that pictured above has to be one of the better examples in terms of all the guy put into it.

That tank was really popular within the RC model community and it is not hard to see why. Even in its "stock" configuration, the 1:6 Stuart is very impressive. There is the size, the sound effects, the firing gun, and all the RC features. If you thought 1:18 scale offered "Xtreme Detail," think again... 1:6 is where the detail is all at. The Stuart is a classic example of 21c pusing the military toy/model envelope.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

cornbreadfred
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cornbreadfred » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:20 pm

Wow, great looking model! :D
Fred, really looking forward to the JSI 1/18th scale Grumman F-14 Tomcat.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:43 pm

The talent that people have when it comes to model making is pretty damn cool!
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

RED
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RED » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:54 pm

SWEET!!! Good job brother!!! Man ---I wish 21stC would have made 1 in 1:18!!! I know I would have got a bunch of them!!! Again Nice Work !!!---RED---
[size=150][/size]"Take your time.Stay away from the easy going.Never go the same way twice."---GySgt Charles C. Arndt on patrolling on Guadalcanal,1942[color=#BF0000][/color]

lalo
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lalo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:57 pm

........ :lol: Fine. Mr Author. ... So with that tank ... can kick the neighbor's dog peeing than good to your garden. Always keep your gun loaded. ....... :mrgreen:
Congratulations on your purchase. .... :wink:
... ¡ Ole...!...