SpaceShipTwo possibly 1/18

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

SpaceShipTwo possibly 1/18

Post by sdcc73 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Something for space fans.

UK Toy Fair unveiled a limited edition toy = Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo. CEO Richard Bronson of Virgin, a confessed sci-fi fan of the "Star Wars generation," is making the spaceplane a reality. SpaceShipTwo stands to become the first "spaceline" to bring paying passengers to space. I'm guessing the limited edition scale toy is 1:18 based on the average height of barrier posts (with the velcro ropes, closeby), measures 40 inches tall give or take. The detachable, central, passenger vehicle; looks almost the same size as the nearby barrier post, 40 inches.

I also emailed Virgin Galatic, a year or so. Upset at how little their small diecast toy offerings of SpaceShipTwo were 1/200 and even smaller 1/400. http://www.b4yourflight.com/c-136-virgin-galactic.aspx I emailed saying Star Wars figures are 1:18 scale. And wouldn't that be great to give something to kids (many big fans of Star Wars/Clone Wars) a little something in the bigger vehicle scale of their Star Wars figures. I didn't realize it till later, yet I later read Bronson himself is a sci fi fan of what he calls the first "Star Wars" generation. All in all, here it is...
Last edited by sdcc73 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

flyboy_fx
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: SpaceShipTwo possibly 1/18

Post by flyboy_fx » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:35 pm

That's a must have!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:01 pm

I'm really really really liking the classic style, nose art.

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:24 pm

Nose art from the central, detaching, passenger spaceplane

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:05 pm

are you sure that's the toy and not just some display item? If it is the toy it would be rather huge (over 7 foot span) and if limited edition will probably cost a few thousand dollars.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:30 pm

aferguson wrote:are you sure that's the toy and not just some display item? If it is the toy it would be rather huge (over 7 foot span) and if limited edition will probably cost a few thousand dollars.
I was taken aback in disbelief too. Yet seeing the larger 7 ft wing versus the smaller roughly 6 foot adult nearby; made me wonder if its near 1:18. Then I remembered, I did email Virgin Galactic a year or so - complete with PRECISE and EXACT 1:18 measurements. The sum of this all, made me believe Toy News when they said it is "a limited edition model." Not "a display model." Meaning, hopefully, multiples will be offered just at a limited basis. It would be good though to verify with Toy News. Below is Toy New's Facebook link and its UK Toy Fair photos. I'm not on Facebook so if anyone on Facebook can verify more details, here's the site to ask...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:26 am

I've actually thought about doing a 1/18 SS1 as a printer project. SS2+WK2 would be a HUGE piece.

It wouldn't surprise me if in fact Branson does subsidize a limited edition model -- He's sunk low hundreds of millions into the Virgin Galactic enterprise so far, and these will be a prestige item for, among other folks, some of his first paying customers who will be, after all, laying out a LOT of money for the privilege of being among the first paying suborbital passengers.

But we shouldn't expect anything that will be in the price range of the average model collector.