Red Tails...

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Red Tails...

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:44 am

I saw it yesterday. I really liked the flying sequences (even though they were a bit unrealistic and over the top) and the aircraft, scenery, uniforms, equipment were all quite accurate and beautifully rendered.

The dialogue, flow of the story, and the fact that it glossed over the racism and the hurdles that the Tuskeegee Airmen really had to go over really detracted from the film.

I think Lucas/Hemingway took the film in a bit more light hearted - "comic book" style approach. While thats good for entertainment, I think it simplified the story and made it cheesy, which really shouldn't have been done.

Still, if it gets people (particularly minorities) interested in WWII and the struggles and contributions of those who participated in it, then the film will serve a good purpose 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:31 pm

The 21stC "Bunnie" P-51D up last week and relisted ended at exactly the same price. This time no reserve, so the buyer got it this time. Still a good price for originally a $40 to $50 at retail plane.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190629543110?ss ... _928wt_941

The 1:72 Matchbox P-51D Redtail seems to be fetching good prices too (I think I have this one)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290655849472?ss ... _500wt_956

Saw a little segment on the local news about a Tuskegee pilot living here in ABQ.
An interview with him and a local celebration dinner coinciding with the premier of the movie. They had a 21stC "Bunnie" displayed on one of the dinner tables. I'll bet people who saw that were wondering where to get one.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:12 pm

Should have bid on that 21c P-51. I did when he first listed the auction, but there was a reserve that wasn't met - and the auction amount was higher. Guess the seller decided it was better to let the plane go and get what money he could :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:14 pm

since the movie's not a turd, i suspect they'll be a new Redtail in 1/18, either by Allgo or BBI.

If either of them has it planned they'd be wise to announce it, to scare of the other from doing it too.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:27 am

ok, so, apparentlly, Red Tails did 'far better than expected', with the opening weekend tally being $19.1 million. So i wonder if this is close enough for the other movies to be made?

"Red Tails, about the Tuskegee Airmen during World War II, did far better than expected. Lucas spent 20 years pursuing the project, and recently revealed he couldn't get any studio to finance the film because of an all-black cast. He finally decided to put up the money himself, and spent $58 million on the production budget and another $35 in distribution costs."

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:39 am

So, only about $74 million to break even. He can probably do that even if it fizzles out at the theaters when the next big movie comes along, because he will have overseas box office and dvd/cable money to add in.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:38 am

What I want to know is... when are we going to get a "hand me down" P-40E Warhawk from BBI, Merit, Allgo, anyone? :?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:54 pm

if you don't mind doing a little repainting:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=20950

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Yeah...but too late, got spoiled with some of the later 21stC and BBI planes. Most of us would expect a nicely detailed one, and would pay for it with the higher prices these days. I'm sure Merit, BBI, or Allgo could make a good one. I don't think I could settle for a foam plane :) Though that's an option.

The hand me down P-40E has slipped through the cracks on someone's list of planes to do for a while.
Maybe now with the movie? ...yeah right. :?

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:09 pm

aferguson wrote:ok, so, apparentlly, Red Tails did 'far better than expected', with the opening weekend tally being $19.1 million. So i wonder if this is close enough for the other movies to be made?

"Red Tails, about the Tuskegee Airmen during World War II, did far better than expected. Lucas spent 20 years pursuing the project, and recently revealed he couldn't get any studio to finance the film because of an all-black cast. He finally decided to put up the money himself, and spent $58 million on the production budget and another $35 in distribution costs."

My guess is that this is going to be good enough to get some more WWII aviation movies greenlit.

After all, in the studio's eyes, Red Tails had two HUGE strikes going against it. 1. All black cast. 2. War movie. Considering that, I bet they'll now think that a similar movie with white 'name' actors like Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt will at least do double the business.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:14 pm

When the studios accept the fact that they can make a war movie, not ground war but air war, sea war, sub war, with the fantastic CG effects to support a few actors, we will see a new era of realistic warfare.

Can you imagine "In Harms Way" with CG and no dopey model boats? or "Tora Tora Tora" even "Pearl Harbor" with complete CG effects on the attack. Even "BOB" or "Patton" with CG correct tanks. Wow.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:08 pm

...or a Battle of Midway with accurate aircraft?

No carrier based Hellcats, Corsairs and Helldivers (like the original Midway movie) but Wildcats, SBD's and TBD Devastators that no longer exist except a few salvageable ones at the bottom of the ocean (bring them up dammit)
Throw in a few Midway land based Brewster Buffalos, B-26's, Catalina, Vought Vindicators, even six TBF Avengers in their first combat mission ever.

Did I miss anything? Oh yeah the Japanese aircraft. Man would that be an undertaking to do it right.

I dunno though, they fell a little short on Redtails without P-39's, and P-47's right? I haven't seen it yet (going tomorrow) but was there any FW-190's?

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:52 am

Dauntless wrote:...or a Battle of Midway with accurate aircraft?

No carrier based Hellcats, Corsairs and Helldivers (like the original Midway movie) but Wildcats, SBD's and TBD Devastators that no longer exist except a few salvageable ones at the bottom of the ocean (bring them up dammit)
Throw in a few Midway land based Brewster Buffalos, B-26's, Catalina, Vought Vindicators, even six TBF Avengers in their first combat mission ever.

Did I miss anything? Oh yeah the Japanese aircraft. Man would that be an undertaking to do it right.

I dunno though, they fell a little short on Redtails without P-39's, and P-47's right? I haven't seen it yet (going tomorrow) but was there any FW-190's?
Didn't see any 190's...All 109's and 262's, but they were awesome!

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:24 pm

456THBG wrote:
Dauntless wrote:...or a Battle of Midway with accurate aircraft?

Didn't see any 190's...All 109's and 262's, but they were awesome!
Apparently in older drafts there was a bigger variety of fighters, and some even bigger action sequences. I read that the final mission was originally scripted to be hit with multiple waves of different German aircraft, with the 262s only appearing over Berlin itself. The bombing run over Berlin was supposed to be a *massive* sequence with the entire city & AA defenses (including Flak towers) rendered, and the sky filled with smoke and fire. It apparently got cut due to the fact that no studio would contribute any money to the movie, and the BoB sequence was going to cost over a cool million per minute(!).

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:22 pm

That would have been cool. Just before that raid the general did mention FW-190's. I guess we're lucky Lucas paid for it himself and we got what we could. Maybe he can keep tweaking the story like he did with Star Wars as the money rolls in and technology gets cheaper. Wouldn't bother me at all.

I saw it today. Enjoyed the heck out of it.
I could see they took a lot of liberties with the story with quite a few inaccuracies, but what the hell, I was entertained for sure.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:21 pm

EnemyAce wrote:and the BoB sequence was going to cost over a cool million per minute(!).

What, ILM doesn't give Lucas a discount? It's his own company.

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:24 pm

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:
EnemyAce wrote:and the BoB sequence was going to cost over a cool million per minute(!).

What, ILM doesn't give Lucas a discount? It's his own company.
That must be with the discount...I don't think the people and computers there work for free...

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:55 am

Right about now would have been a good time to have Wingscale's 1:32 Flying Fortress B-17G released no?
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CCwQ9QEwBg

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:35 am

Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:58 am

THIS MUSTANG IS SUPER RARE BECAUSE IT HAS THE "PERIOD CORRECT" WING WITH CORRECT MARKINGS, WHEN RELEASED by BADCAT TOYS THE YELLOW STRIPES WERE IN THE WRONG PLACE FOR THE REAL PLANE AND THEY PAINTED THE YELLOW STRIPE OVER THE LAND GEAR COVER (as seen in the last picture) WHICH IS WRONG, ONLY AROUND 20 CORRECT WINGS WERE MADE AND SOLD, WE BOUGHT ONE BACK THEN NEW ON EBAY, BOTH WINGS COME WITH THIS PLANE IN THE AUCTION! THE NEW WING ALSO HAS GUNFIRE EXHAUST SMOKE STAIN ON THE WINGS AT THE GUN BARREL TIPS!!!

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Dauntless wrote:Right about now would have been a good time to have Wingscale's 1:32 Flying Fortress B-17G released no?
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CCwQ9QEwBg
I'm guessing this is a kit, correct?

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:16 pm

It was a kit, but the Chinese stole it from the man who came up with it and the B-25 kit in 1/32.

He's attempting a comeback, but hopefully not with a Chinese manufacturer.

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:52 pm

Seen the movie this afternoon with the wife, it was'nt bad, since I had read everyones reviews here, I kind of knew what to expect, my wife liked it and that was a plus.

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Looks like the movie is moving along.Likely reaching $40 million by this weekend.
That is near the $58 million production cost. There's still more costs involved to compensate. So keep spreading the word, for everyone to check it out, so we can see many more movies (of and beyond Red Tails) in the future.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Curious though, about Lucas's prospect of a prequel and sequel to the film.

What exactly would the prequel be? And a sequel - not having seen it yet, does the movie not end with the war's end like many do, or is there still some story left to tell?

Cameron wouldn't do a prequel to Titanic. That would just be the financing and building of the boat, right? Exciting stuff, watching guys rivet steel for several hours. I believe that story centers around a welder who has fallen in love with a pipefitter's wife.