Dragon to issue new 1/18 Space figures

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Dragon to issue new 1/18 Space figures

Post by sdcc73 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:36 am

AMERICAN_GRENADIER wrote:Spoke with my dragon salesman today...will be offering the 1/72 Saturn V...they are selling fast in presale
American_Grenadier. They're really selling fast? If so, can you ask that Dragon salesman to make its future 1:18 rockets; so they can be re-milked + re-sold later as military items (e.g. the early ICBMs which defined the Cold War era)? If you can pull this off, this CAN be a BIG boon for Military Collectors. Space Collectors will basically buy thusly pay for most of these big (rocket) molds. Just switch its space capsule tip for a nuclear tipped warhead - and viola! We got a completely different product for another consumer base! - Military colllectors (even beyond us 1:18 enthusiasts) will definitely be interested by its sheer size alone. Its a great sales pitch / question to ask that Dragon salesman. "Why waste a big (rocket) mold on only 1 item (1 space rocket for space collectors) when that same mold can be milked many times over to sell many different ICBMs for military collectors as well!?!" Indeed, the 1/72 Saturn is nearly the same size as a 1:18 "Friendship 7" Mercury-Atlas. Atlas rockets were also used for military use; in the first ICBMs of the Cold War era. Military enthusiasts will DEFINATELY be interested in the sheer size of these powerful symbols that defined an era. Again, if you can pull off this question + sales pitch to that Dragon salesperson.

More photos of Atlas missiles here: http://www.strategic-air-command.com/mi ... rsions.htm

ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by sdcc73 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 9 times in total.

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:36 am

Many missle-rockets (such as the Atlas ICBMs) can be made from mostly the same Atlas mold...

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by sdcc73 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:36 am

not sure how likely 1/18 rockets are, though they would be cool. 1/18 capsules i could see and maybe even the top portion of a Saturn V if the line is booming. Minuteman and similar sized missiles are certainly do-able in 1/18, size-wise, but i really doubt anyone would bother to make those, unfortunately. Years ago i made a 1/18 soviet ss-20 missile out of pvc tubing and plastic yogurt containers of various sizes. Turned out pretty well. Researching it was a bear though, so there was a bit of guess work involved on details and colour.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:46 am

^ Agreed, it would be cool to make. Again the Atlas-Mercury at 1:18 measures the same height as the Saturn at 1:72 wonderfully "selling fast" on preorder. So even if it sounds like a tall-order to make, something of similar height (the Saturn V) is already being made, and wonderfully "selling" as reported by American_Grenadier. Add the popularity of 1:18 in our big Star Wars / Sci Fi fandom's love for 1:18 figures + space themes, and Dragon has a sizable audience to tap into, bigger than those 1:72 fans, gobbling-up those Saturns! On top of that, Dragon can economically re-use both those Mercury capsules + Atlas rockets, over + over + over again, for many variations, many repaints (like the many ICBMs). So Dragon can achieve this and sell it over + over again, for its of similar "height" to a product that their already achieving and wonderfully "selling fast."

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Dragon can take any (space) rocket, re-purpose + re-paint it into ANY of its earlier (military) missiles. Here's the U.S. Space Missile kit by Monogram. Check out the kid from the Cold War era, smiling and holding thee same Atlas rocket (mentioned above) yet painted in its early (military) missile form...
ImageImage

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:07 pm

Along with Mercury-Atlas here's another example how Dragon can make a manned Space rocket into many more Military Missiles to sell to us Military Collectors. First photo shows one manned Space rocket the Mercury-Redstone. Latter photos are simply the Redstone (minus Mercury capsule) in their earlier military form. As we can see, much more different repaints + releases can be milked-out from one mold; by releasing the Redstone alone inspired after its earlier incarnations = Military Missiles...
ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by sdcc73 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:58 am

Wow. They just re-released thie classic U.S. Space Missiles set from the 1950s in a recent "Heritiage Edition" selling out in some hobby stores and running on eBay for $100 to $200!!! :shock: If Dragon can offer that $200 pre-built rocket 1.5 meter tall, then a similar-size Mercury-Atlas or even shorter smaller Mercury-Redstone (at Dragon's new 1:18 scale Space line) can definitely attract those same military collectors buying this small 1:128 kit.

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by snake » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:54 pm

1/18 Atlas would be just too big, in my opinion.

The reason the Saturn V is doing well is that it is the rocket that sent man to the moon, and is very recognizable.

Lots of people, including non collectors, would consider getting this rocket. Can't really say the same about a 1/18 Atlas.

If they made it, great. But I doubt it would sell well. Perhaps a V-2 in this scale.

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:56 pm

snake wrote:Perhaps a V-2 in this scale.
What a ridiculous idea . . .

snake

Post by snake » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:10 pm

gburch wrote:

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:26 pm

gburch wrote:
Funny. On gburch's funny note, like his great V2, many rockets have a relatively small "footprint" taking no less floor area than a tank or even jeep at 1:18. Dragon can start smaller with Redstone. Here's a site sold out of its even "bigger" 1:17 scale Mercury-Redstone whose footprint (diameter) is only 4-inches...

http://www.neubauerrockets.com/cgi-bin/ ... &product=2

So it sounds big. But seeing the pics (or picturing them even shorter as Military Missiles minus the capsule) they are not too very big. They can even be displayed kinda flat out-of-the-way. Like a vintage wood propeller at 5 feet, rockets can hang on walls. Or suspend on ceilings. At a small 4-inch footprint it has lots of display options & potential.
ImageImage

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:13 pm

I have an old Estes Mercury Redstone model rocket kit that I built over 20 years ago. The rocket was about 1:32 or thereabouts as when fully assembled, it stood about 2 feet tall. The capsule on mine was plastic with a fully detailed escape tower, etc. Decaling the thing was insane, with all the markings, etc. being waterslide decals. As I was pretty young when I built it, I naturally had help from my dad... and flew the heck out of the rocket for years afterwards 8)

I also have a fairly realistic 1:6 scale GI Joe Mercury Capsule that was an FAO Schwartz exclusive from 1999-2000. The capsule was patterned after the 1960s version, but given a more realistic color, texturing, and cockpit hatch/window covering. It is a bit underscale but looks cool as heck. The capsule is in the markings of John Glenn's "Friendship 7" and is one of my few spacecraft in a scale larger than 1:72. Here is a picture of a boxed example:

Then there's my 1:48 Apollo CSM and LM set from 10 years ago. Dragon isn't making anything new, apart from their 5" Saturn V :wink:

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:38 am

I can definitely see 1/18 versions of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo spacecraft as "practical" in 1/18, as well as spacecraft from the Russian program and the "New SPace" vehicles like SpaceX's Dragon. The largest of these would be about the same size as a large 1/18 ground vehicle. A big issue would be "toy vs. collector's model," although the distinction can be pretty ambiguous. Someone gave me that 1/48 CSM/LEM a few years ago and I have no problems with displaying it in my office at work -- it looks very good from a few feet away (and I've seen some online articles of folks using it for the basis of fine-scale level work.

The Apollo spacecraft do offer some really, really enticing options -- they could be marketed separately or in more expensive sets with a full launch configuration including the LEM fairing, the CM shroud and the escape tower. Block II LEMs with the LRV could follow. At a collector's model level of detail, something like the latter would definitely be in the $200+ price category, but I think the space-nut community is plenty large enough to support it. Really, really (really, really) dreaming, I can IMAGINE selling components of the ISS one at a time . . . but few people would have the space to put them all together.

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:58 am

We underestimated Dragon. It takes more plastic + tooling to make a 1/6 Sherman than it takes to make Titan missiles in 1/18 scale. Slice a Sherman 1/6 in half, stack those halves atop each other, its height is 76.6 inches. Less than 72 inch measures some Titans; including one with a Gemini Capsule. Add the fact Space sells extremely well, says Dragon, then its twice evident they can do big. Bigger than Redstones + Atlases. Titans (even one topped with Gemini) use the same or even less plastic than a 1/6 Sherman.

I did more measuring and some of the even bigger Titans are less than 8 foot, a convenient height, less than an average house wall. Diagram below shows Titans even share many parts that can be easily milked from the same shared molds, to churn-out many releases beyond just Germini-Titan. I strongly sense Space fans will also like these military missiles, too. What Space fan wouldn't want various versions of their favorite rocket? Redstone, Atlas, and Titan after all are still "Space Missiles" as clearly titled in that classic Monogram kit above. Again, if they can do a Sherman 1/6 + sell Space items extremely well; then we (myself included) underestimated Dragon in what they can offer + achieve...
Last edited by sdcc73 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:09 am

Some cute little spacecraft kids can enjoy, yet with a realistic Space / Military vibe, mature adult collectors can really appreciate, too. First pic is the X-24A NASA / Air Force. Second pic is the lifting-body sisters X-24A, M2-F3 & HL-10. ALL amazingly measure LESS in length + wingspan than one of our hobby's smallest aircraft = the V-1 Bomb 1:18 model by Pegasus. So from the Titan big, to the very small, its just another example in what Dragon can do with a wide range of Space / Military items in 1:18. Space / Military in fact can be an entity whose line between the two, often blur. As seen in this X-24A with Civilian Space / Military markings of both NASA / Air Force...

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:45 am

sdcc73 wrote:Some cute little spacecraft kids can enjoy, yet with a realistic Space / Military vibe, mature adult collectors can really appreciate, too. First pic is the X-24A NASA / Air Force. Second pic is the lifting-body sisters X-24A, M2-F3 & HL-10. ALL amazingly measure LESS in length + wingspan than one of our hobby's smallest aircraft = the V-1 Bomb 1:18 model by Pegasus. So from the Titan big, to the very small, its just another example in what Dragon can do with a wide range of Space / Military items in 1:18. Space / Military in fact can be an entity whose line between the two, often blur. As seen in this X-24A with Civilian Space / Military markings of both NASA / Air Force...
To me, as a true space maniac, looking at the 1960s lifting bodies is almost too painful . . . the road not taken . . . 50 years and $300 billion almost entirely wasted . . .

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:43 pm

That was a lot of decades + billions invested. Hopefully from that something was discovered that will benefit this new commercial Space Race happening as we speak. Maybe a little glitch was long solved that will prevent disasters. Of whose importance may increase as commercial trips bring more + more people to and from space. That said, the lifting body is not all a loss. The Dream Chaser lifting body they say is going strong and even helping others like Virgin Galatic. Of which may spark ever more interest + excitement in Dragon's new toys!

On that note, here's a great pic of The Dream Chaser (lifting body) boosted by thee latest version of the earlier mentioned Atlas rockets...
Company building the Dream Chaser reportedly helped make parts for Virgin Galactic. The latter of whose website, is even offering some Exclusive diecast 1/200 + 1/400 models too! = http://www.virgingalactic.com/

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by B17Fortress » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:31 pm

I have to admit, that one looks awesome! Rig up a minigun and rocket pods, and it would make an awesome sci-fi gunship!

snake

Post by snake » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:20 am

Six Million Dollar Man. :D

I would be up for some X planes in 1/18, particularly the X-15. 8)

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:10 am

snake wrote:Six Million Dollar Man. :D I would be up for some X planes in 1/18, particularly the X-15. 8)
Ha! Good find! There is a market for nostagic models from retro tv shows + movies. So maybe DM can re-package this possible 1:18 spacecraft in a retro Six Million Dollar Man kit package, too! Pegasus Hobbies did a great 1:18 spacecraft from My Favorite Martian tv show. Speaking of Pegasus, I think its the Fighting 1:18th site who said they contacted Pegasus and found out they're interested in making the X-15 in 1:18. Any word back from Pegasus?

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:07 am

sdcc73 wrote:
snake wrote:Six Million Dollar Man. :D I would be up for some X planes in 1/18, particularly the X-15. 8)
Ha! Good find! There is a market for nostagic models from retro tv shows + movies. So maybe DM can re-package this possible 1:18 spacecraft in a retro Six Million Dollar Man kit package, too! Pegasus Hobbies did a great 1:18 spacecraft from My Favorite Martian tv show. Speaking of Pegasus, I think its the Fighting 1:18th site who said they contacted Pegasus and found out they're interested in making the X-15 in 1:18. Any word back from Pegasus?
I wrote to them asking that very question, because I had started working on a mesh for the X-15 as my second printed-kit project. But they never responded. Even the slightest rumor that Pegasus would do an X-15 was enough to dissuade me from going forward on the X-15, though.

The X-15 IS big. Longer than an F-104. But it's a relatively simple shape -- no weird concavities that would make molding difficult and there are some very obvious mold-line cuts they should do (rather than split the fuse vertically, they should do it horizontally; and maybe make the strakes along the fuse sides a separate piece).

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:24 am

when are these figures due out?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:43 am

aferguson wrote:when are these figures due out?
Yeah, when are these coming out?

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:46 am

I'm thinking the same time that AllGo Toys releases their line of WWII figures.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Re: Dragon to issue new 1/18 Space figures UPDATED PIC

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:22 am

heres the first look at the ad

"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa