is the new JSI BF-109 paint scheme boring???

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
digger
Officer - Brigadier General

jsi

Post by digger » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:52 am

GD - you were always one of the biggest critics of the 21C Tiger, and now JSI has gifted it to us? People whined about all the repaints 21C released, but now that they are out of business we should be happy that JSI is giving us repaints? It is nice that these molds are being used and stuff is getting to market, but it is safe to say a JSI repaint is no more exciting than it was when 21C used to do them (cheaper with pilots).

The reason JSI should be in our good graces is for the F-14. Even if the thing is made of foam, it takes real onions to bring that to market.

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:20 am

I like it and will most likely be getting one. I still have to get the trop too.

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:16 am

I don't know ... it's just not a flashy paint scheme that's all. "Color scheme and style may vary." Hopefully it won't be that gray in color.

It kinda grows on you. Depending on the price I wouldn't mind one since I have NO 109's at all.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:47 am

didnt want to start a war of words on this topic. just spark some conversation.
i like the rest of you am very happy that JSI has picked up the torch!
im not happy with all they have done,but i must take it or leave it.
i just hope that this isnt a sign of future paint schemes. the Putt Putt and Pappy are basically reissues. the Stuka is also basically a reissue.
the 109 is really their first new paint scheme of an old aircraft mold. i actually like the scheme but hope final product has a few more details.
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:53 am

AMERICAN_GRENADIER wrote:didnt want to start a war of words on this topic. just spark some conversation.
i like the rest of you am very happy that JSI has picked up the torch!
im not happy with all they have done,but i must take it or leave it.
i just hope that this isnt a sign of future paint schemes. the Putt Putt and Pappy are basically reissues. the Stuka is also basically a reissue.
the 109 is really their first new paint scheme of an old aircraft mold. i actually like the scheme but hope final product has a few more details.
I don't think you did. There are some pretty interesting points of views here. The JSI Corsair wasn't too bad a release (but I have the Bunker Hill), I have 2 Stukas (including the white version) but the JSI P38 I would have favored one with an OD or D-Day finish.

Hopefully they will release more than one of each and then give us a choice. :D

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:09 am

I guess I'm a bit boring, but I like the paint job. I just never cared for the 21st E model. It's not one of 21st most accurate molds.
Such is life.

Jeffrey
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

cornbreadfred
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cornbreadfred » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:49 am

I like the paint scheme, has a fresh out of the factory look. :D
Fred, really looking forward to the JSI 1/18th scale Grumman F-14 Tomcat.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:35 am

to fresh...............
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: jsi

Post by GooglyDoogly » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:58 am

digger wrote:GD - you were always one of the biggest critics of the 21C Tiger, and now JSI has gifted it to us?
When did I say that the 1/18 Tiger is a "gift" to us? The 21st/JSI Tiger is inaccurate as heck, but it's detail accuracy wasn't the thing being discussed here, that's why I didn't talk about it. The topic is the paint scheme. And can you truly say that the new JSI Tiger doesn't have a better paint job than the early 21st Tigers? It does. It's much better than the sloppy gray Tiger, sloppy winter Tiger, and much much better than the toyish "eastern front" Tiger.
People whined about all the repaints 21C released, but now that they are out of business we should be happy that JSI is giving us repaints?
You know, it's one thing to complain about a particular paint scheme because you don't like it (which is TOTALLY fine!).

But to say that JSI is just cheapening out in order to maximize their profits is absurd. If they want to do that, they could simply do what this one company has done to to the Panzer IV mold.

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/amphibi ... -water-too

Scary ain't it?
It is nice that these molds are being used and stuff is getting to market, but it is safe to say a JSI repaint is no more exciting than it was when 21C used to do them (cheaper with pilots).
For people who missed out on the Putt Putt Maru, The Boyington Corsair, it's damn exciting to have them readily available in the market. Maybe it's just not exciting to many people here because they already have these particular paint schemes?
The reason JSI should be in our good graces is for the F-14. Even if the thing is made of foam, it takes real onions to bring that to market.
No, the reason JSI should be in our "good graces" is because prior to them, the 1/18th military toys/model hobby is damn near dead. Kaput.

gliderdwm
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gliderdwm » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:17 pm

Any paint scheme from a 109E that comes from one of the greatest aerial battles of all time The Battle of Britain is great by me. We have the ZPA and DWK Spitfire from the same battle so I need something else from this time frame. The Helmut Wick 109 is OK we some rework but something else is needed. The 109E mold was actually quite good compared to some others.

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:22 am

The question, IMO, is not so much whether this paint scheme is bland or boring or if it was the worst possible paint scheme they could have chosen, but could JSI come up with a more appealing new livery? One which would have been in their commercial interest to produce and may have even piqued the interest of collectors who already own a previous version? (And I think the answer is a resounding yes.)

In short, was this a sound business decision on their part? Do they really want to maximize profits? Because, it would seem to me that given the price point of what are basically repaints thus far, they could have gone a long way by selecting an attractive paint scheme AND/OR including markings, pilots, machineguns, accessories that were already there in previous releases—that is, adding value to their product, instead of detracting from it.

This new attitude (it was cheap when BBI left out their Hellcat rockets and it is now that JSI does it), coupled with a so-so paint scheme is definitely not going to attract many collectors, certainly not very many who were around when the AC was originally released by 21st in a flashier paint scheme and with a pilot figure. (Not to mention waaay cheaper, but let's assume for the sake of argument that this significant price increase has gone toward improving the product... one thing is for sure, with a ghost fleet anchored off the coast of Malaysia and the oil prices on a downward trend, shipping costs, if anything, should have gone down).

They have done none of that. The only area where they seem to have improved dramatically is QC, and that in itself deserves a big kudos.

It's not like there's a shortage of colorful profiles out there which could have been replicated.

Same with AT's decision to release the Me-262 'White 7' whereas the Galland version was apparently postponed until a later date (possibly never to see the light of day). Thing is I'm simply not interested in the 'White 7' and unless they start giving it away, I'm not buying one anytime soon. This strategy backfired big time when 21st used it and will backfire again, especially since we "discerning collectors" are stuck with a higher price point now for what is essentially a repaint stripped down of any markings/pilots/accessories.

BTW, I thought they were going to include some much needed swastikas, seeing as historical accuracy is of paramount importance to the average discerning collector. Guess not. Instead, they are removing all the markings from their armor. Oh, wells. Less bang for your buck (which is not to imply that they're robbing us blind; it's simply the acknowledgement of the new trend in 1/18.).

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:28 am

the old 109E is not a bad model, it's a bit chubby and the tail's too flat and the canopy framing is a bit off but otherwise it's decent. It was certainly a lot better than the P-51 that came out at the same time.....how they managed to do that, i'm not sure.

Anyway, i think this scheme will do well. It's a refreshing change and collectors, who this is aimed at, will appreciate it for what it is and not just want something flashier.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

usmcchet9296
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by usmcchet9296 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:49 pm

Since I dont have a early war 109 I will get it
I do hope they come out with a 190 since I missed them
USMC CHET
John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi

Tambo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Tambo » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:13 pm

Just paint your own..that is what I'm doing. I can not wait to show my current BF-109 custom paint job.
Good trades: C00per, pcb122605, digger, vulgarvulture X2, General Blasto X2, Light.Inf.Scout, V2 Man, Sentinel, xddave, grunt1

[img]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/230/230828/folders/190465/2439227TAMBOSIGsmall.JPG[/img]

sledgehammer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sledgehammer » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:58 am

The plane their showing is the very first mod that came out, where theres no railing inside the canopy, just clear. Deffinetly a no no.
succesful buyers or traders: 109, pcoughran, toyktdlgh

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:45 pm

aferguson wrote:i rather like the scheme, being it's a battle of france/battle of britain era. Not every plane has to be flashy.....by far and away most weren't. It's not like every plane on every side during the war had elaborate paint schemes, nose art, kill markings etc. 99% of them were plain janes.
I'm OK with no nose art, but what I liked about Seeman was the weathering. The current photo (thanks to whoever posted the link) is too clean.

Will I get one? Depends ... though most likely.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:14 pm

I am happy that JSI is picking up the pieces, and in the end we get an F-14 in 1/18th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!